Even in these trying times, German gambling reform is ongoing. We’d like to keep you informed of what is happening!
REPORT: Gaming in Germany webinar | Responsible advertising in a regulated iGaming market
We would like to thank our panelists and all attendees for joining us during last week’s webinar on responsible iGaming advertising in the regulated German market.
You can view the webinar in its entirety here: https://bit.ly/2XyCDBr
Panelists & panelist questions
The Gaming in Germany webinar featured the following panelists:
- Dr Andreas Blaue, General Counsel at Constantin Medien AG / CEO Magic Sports Media GmbH
- Frank Hesse, Gaming & Marketing Consultant
- Maarten Haijer, Secretary General of the European Gaming and Betting Association (EGBA)
In addition, Dr Jörg Hofmann, Group Leader of the Gaming & Betting Law Practice Group of Melchers Law Firm, provided an introduction on the legal and regulatory aspects of the current and future advertising framework.
During the webinar, our panelists addressed the following questions:
- What is currently possible with regard to media advertising? Who can advertise? Under what conditions? What are the regulatory risks?
- What will change when the Fourth State Gambling Treaty comes into force on July 1, 2021? What will be the impact of the restrictions on multi-product offerings on advertising regulations?
- What does the current advertising landscape look like? From an operator’s perspective, what channels are particularly effective? What are the challenges?
- What is going to change after July 1, 2021? What new marketing opportunities does the new State Treaty bring?
- The European Gaming and Betting Association (EGBA) recently issued the first Pan-European Code for Responsible Advertising for Online Gambling. How does this Code relate to both the current and newly proposed German advertising regulations?
- What can the industry do to keep advertising sustainable and to avoid a public backlash as in e.g. Italy and Spain?
Webinar attendees were invited to participate in a poll, the results of which you will find below.
Webinar attendees were able to submit questions to our panelists. A selection of these questions and answers is included below.
Q: Has the final explanatory memorandum to the 2021 treaty been published already?
A: While the contents are known, the document has not been made publicly available.
Q: Any news on regulation of federal advertising for Schleswig-Holstein licenses?
A: There are currently no obstacles to continue with nation-wide advertising. The new treaty, however, will introduce new national advertising rules that come into force before the current Schleswig-Holstein licenses expire.
Q: Can we expect broadcasters to place a limit on the amount of gambling advertising they show?
A: As the marketing rules are already quite strict, no additional self-regulation is expected.
Q: What will the new regulations mean for affiliate marketing?
A: Affiliate marketing based on a revenue sharing model will not be permitted.
Q: What are the restrictions on the advertisement of live bets during an event?
A: Ads promoting bets on a particular sporting event are not allowed immediately before or during the live broadcast of said event.
The following events and webinars may be of interest to members of the Gaming in Germany community.
Due to current events, most events that were to take place before the summer have been postponed.
However, the following events are still on track to take place later in the year.
- The 2020 Gaming in Holland Conference has now been scheduled on September 22, one day prior to iGB Live in the Amsterdam RAI. Combine two events with one visit!
- Betting on Sports America, the largest dedicated sports betting trade show in the world, returns to Meadowlands, New Jersey from 1 – 3 December.
- The World Gaming Executive Summit will return to Barcelona from 7 – 9 December. Key themes on the agenda include AI, the future of land-based gaming, CSR, sustainable marketing, regulation updates, fantasy sports, and emerging marketing opportunities.
- On May 28, the EGR Weekly Virtual Series continues with “Percentage Play: How sports betting can fuel the US casino comeback and diversify risk”
Get your FREE copy of the Gaming in Germany Magazine
The first issue of the hardcopy Gaming in Germany Magazine will soon be published.
The inaugural issue contains:
- An interview with the Hessian regulator
- Interviews with the presidents of online trade associations DSWV and DOCV
- Other industry perspectives on the German online gambling regulation
- A Who is who
- A VIXIO GamblingCompliance country report on the German gambling market
- And much more!
Request your free copy here: https://signup.gamingin.eu/