Fire Causes Skycity Casino Evacuation
Patrons at Auckland’s Sky City Casino may have thought their luck had run out when an electrical fault caused the gaming lounge to be evacuated on Saturday morning.
Northern Communications shift manager Kevin Barbara told NZPA an electrical fault in the switch gear in the first floor of the building sparked the alert at 3.15am.
The fire was contained to the fist floor electrical cupboards but smoke was detected up to seven floors, he said.
The evacuation of the casino was a precaution and guests at the hotel were not affected, he said.
About 16 fire appliances attended the call-out, surrounding Sky City and blocking the roads around the tower for about an hour, he said.
Mr Barbara said he did not know how many people had been affected by the evacuation.
Sky City management declined to comment on the incident.