An Application for an interlocutory injunction for the closure of a casino in Castlebar has been adjourned to this week.
Castlebar Town Council made the application at Castlebar Circuit Court for the mandatory injunction against Niall Mulholland who runs the casino at McHale Retail Park, Castlebar.
Mr John Jordan, BL (representing the Town Council) said the casino or gaming club had been opened in September and had no planning permission. He said there was a history of the owner being alerted to the fact the council were going to make this application. It had been opened in a premises which was formerly operated as a toy shop.
When the owner was visited by the Town Council, he ceased operating. He obtained a form for a planning application but never lodged the application.
He said there were two matters, relating to the planning and the legality of the operation. The court was not concerned with the second.
Judge Raymond Groarke granted an application to bring the mandatory injunction before the court on notice on Wednesday next. He also directed that any affidavit be served on the applicants by noon on Tuesday. He said service would be good if it was served on a member of staff by registered post. He reserved costs.
The casino was continuing to operate last weekend and was said to be doing a steady trade.