MECN presents the 2013/2014 edition of its lottery benchmarking study with a special focus on social media activities of lotteries
London/Munich, 16. January 2014 – For the fifth time since 2007, MECN is updating and expanding its unique and well-received benchmark study of the global lottery industry. This study again provides a wealth of information on lottery-specific industry benchmarks far beyond existing sales comparisons. The 2013/2014 edition also includes a large number of analyses of the Internet/digital segments. Since social media and networks, such as Facebook, and social gam(bl)ing are becoming more and more important, MECN again included analyses of activities and successes of lotteries in social media.
The updated study includes:
- Sales-related benchmarks – Total sales and product-related sales (e.g., lotto, betting, instant, …) benchmarks, such as per-capita sales analyses.
- Sales channel benchmarks, such as number of residents and sales per outlet, …
- Internet/digital segments and channels – The report offers many analyses of the Internet/digital segments and channels, including breakdown by product (Internet lotto, betting,…), users, …. We have also included comparisons to private Internet gambling companies.
- Social media and networks benchmarking and success stories – In-depth analyses of the social media activities (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) of lotteries. Moreover, we have added several best practice case studies identifying potential success factors.
- Marketing benchmarks, such as marketing/advertising expenses in % of total sales, optimal media mix of the ad budget, …
- Operating expense benchmarks, such as operating expenses in % of sales broken down into human resources (e.g., average personnel expenses, sales per employee), IT and communications, and other benchmarks.
- Success factors of the lottery business – The analysis of success factors is based on an updated survey conducted among 30 lottery executives.
- Best practices – For most benchmark areas we provide updated best practice case studies of the leading lotteries.
- Large number of lotteries analysed and most up-to-date information – Analyses of data from ca. 130 state/public lotteries and operators for the years 2011 and 2012 as well as long-term trend analyses reaching back to 2005.
In total, the report has 105 pages and 106 graphs/exhibits.
The study can be obtained at: http://www.lottery-benchmarking.mecn.net